Written By: Leslie Taylor | Article Date: October 22, 2021
Create a product, mailer, or shipping box that’s tailored to your preferences in size, material, color, quantity, and design. Take advantage of our customizable sizes, materials, and coatings today.
How to Create a Custom Box Like an Expert Designer
Think about the time when you first opened a box of gourmet chocolates or
a gaming console. You couldn’t hide your excitement the moment the package
arrived at your doorstep. From the looks of the custom packaging, you
already knew that it would be a great experience.
Since then, every time a delivery arrives your heart still skips a beat as your finger traces the outline of the custom box. You notice the smooth, matte finish that looks so modern, so elegant. As you tear the sticker that keeps the lid in place, you get an instant high. Slowly, you open the lid and, finally, you get to see what’s inside.
Good packaging builds anticipation. It engages customers even before they see your product. And often, the more expensive a product is, the more eye-catching the custom box should be. Take Apple products, for example. The clean, minimalist iPhone box is part of the experience. For Tiffany & Co. customers, the iconic robin’s egg blue packaging embodies luxury and style.
But how do you create gorgeous custom box designs without breaking the bank? More importantly, where do you start if you haven’t created a packaging design before?
In this article, we talk about why you need a good packaging box design. We’ll also break down the steps on how to create one even if you’re not a professional designer.
Keep Your Business Top of Mind With Custom Printing
It’s a tough competition out there. Whether your business is in retail or
e-commerce, hundreds of products will be competing for customers’
attention. According to
Nielsen, it takes 13 seconds for customers to decide on a product. But recent
studies show that the decision-making process of consumers is now down to
A generic packaging would most likely be missed as customers scan the aisles or scroll online. Even if your product can solve their problems, customers would most likely go for brands that they already know and trust. One of the best ways to convince customers to choose your products is by custom box printing.
How do you design and print custom boxes that grab attention? Before contacting your printer, it’s essential to first lay down the foundations of your design. Here are some questions that can guide you in creating a custom box like an expert designer:
1. What is your offer?
- Are you selling cosmetics or health and wellness products? A thick product box with a glossy coating can make the purchase feel extra luxurious.
- If you’re in the monthly box subscription business, your mailer boxes should build on the excitement by printing your design on both the inside and outside of the box
- Do you need to ship products to customers? Shipping boxes must be durable to protect your products in transit
2. What are your brand requirements?
Nevertheless, you need to be consistent in your design.
- Color: Certain colors evoke different feelings and associations. In the food business, colors such as red and orange can stimulate hunger. Blue is often associated with a feeling of calmness or royalty. When designing your custom box, think about how you want customers to perceive your brand. This can help set you apart from the competition and convince customers to buy from your business.
- Typography: The right typeface can make your custom packaging look professional even without accompanying imagery. When using a combination of typefaces, less is more. Make sure that there is enough kerning or spacing between letters so that your typography will not look cluttered. A combination of small and capital letters can also make your brand name more readable.
- Logo: The logo is part of your brand identity and should be consistent across all packaging you use. For brands like Nike, the swoosh logo barely needs an introduction. Customers already know what it stands for and who the business is for. It’s memorable and distinguishes the business from the competition. However, some companies forgo the traditional logo and use typography only to communicate what they stand for.
3. What are the other essentials that you need to include?
Print Custom Boxes With Next Day Flyers
We’ve covered the basic elements. Now, let’s talk about some technical requirements before you contact a printing company like Next Day Flyers. Custom box printing is not only about how great your design looks. A great design only looks good on the computer screen if you don’t follow the basic printing requirements.
Image Resolution: If you want to add a logo or an image, make sure that the file is at least 300 dpi. A lower image resolution will appear blurry or pixelated on the printed product even if it looks normal on your computer screen.
Color Mode: We highly recommend creating your designs in CMYK mode. Although RGB is also used for graphic design, you might notice a slight shift in colors once your design is printed. With CMYK, colors remain accurate when printed.
File Type: Next Day Flyers can work with a variety of file formats. However, we prefer PDF files because they preserve the quality of the artwork and keep the file size low. Learn more about file formats.
Safety Zone: Putting design elements within the safety zone ensures that your artwork is not cut off when printed. Any elements placed outside the safety zone may creep into the design of other box panels.
The good news is all these things are taken care of with Next Day Flyers’ online printing services. If you’d like to use a professional design editor, click Order Now & Receive a Dieline Template. The dieline template shows the safety margins for the box interior and exterior to guide you in the placement of the design elements.
You can also design your custom box online with Next Day Flyers’ online design tool. The application will show you a 3D preview of your box with the lid open or closed.
Get Your Boxes Lighting Fast With Next Day Flyers
Creating a custom box isn’t as hard as it seems to be. Even if you don’t have any design skills, our online design tool and dieline templates can help you create a custom box like an expert designer.
Order custom boxes in any size, material, or colors that meet your needs. With Next Day Flyers’ printing services, your boxes are ready to ship in 10-15 business days with an option for expedited production.
Custom Box Design Tool
JULY 28, 2020 | by NEXTDAYFLYERS
Design custom boxes online in just a few minutes. Use NextDayFlyers and our online design tool to choose any type of box, size, and material for your packaging. Order a sample custom box and get it in just 3 to 4 business days. Create your custom packaging today.
How To Create Your Own Custom Box
AUGUST 4, 2020 | by NEXTDAYFLYERS
Need custom packaging boxes but not sure where to start? Here’s how to customize and design one from scratch. Learn the different types of custom boxes and what works for you with NextDayFlyers. Stand out and impress your customers with custom boxes you can order.
Shipping Boxes: Why Use Them for Packing?
SEPTEMBER 24, 2020 | by NEXTDAYFLYERS
The majority of the products shipped around the country are in corrugated shipping boxes. Learn more about custom shipping boxes, their advantages, when to use them, and what type of box to use for your business in this ultimate guide to shipping boxes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Promote seasonal products and boost end-of-year sales.
- Give your products a fresh look
- Premium cardstock material
- Gloss, high-gloss UV, or matte coating