How to Use Packaging as a Marketing Tool
Written By: Leslie Taylor | Article Date: February 02, 2022
Maximize Your Marketing Efforts With Custom Packaging
Go beyond the ordinary and improve your brand’s marketing efforts through custom packaging. Whether you’re a newly minted business or a brand that’s been in operation for decades, personalized packaging is a critical component in business strategy. Well-designed product packaging goes beyond protecting your products – it sets you apart from the competition, raises brand awareness, and completes the customer experience.
5 Ways You Can Use Packaging as a Marketing Tool
- Make Your Messaging Cohesive – Branding is more than slapping your logo on a box. Each aspect of your marketing materials must be meticulously planned out in order to maximize its impact. By ensuring that your marketing is cohesive between all your product packaging and other advertising channels, your message gets amplified.
- Reward Repeat Customers – Having a loyal customer base is crucial for a business’ continued success. Make sure your supporters feel appreciated through their repeat purchases. You can include promotional stickers in their takeaway bags, insert flyers with bonus discount codes, or introduce a loyalty card system. Satisfied customers are more likely to come back and refer your business to their friends and colleagues.
- Make It Reusable – Single use packaging is frowned upon nowadays because more consumers are conscious about the impact of their purchases on the environment. By designing your packaging to be reusable, you lessen your brand’s environmental footprint while prolonging the advertising efforts you’ve printed as well.
- Incorporate Social Media – Love it or hate it, social media is here to stay and plays an integral role in marketing. Incorporate your social media links and handles on your product packaging so that customers can easily find out more about your business. You can include a call to action, but don’t go overboard. If you have branded #hashtags, you can include them strategically in the design.
- Celebrate Holidays – One of the most popular ways for your packaging to stand out is to create seasonal designs. This breaks the monotony of your regular packaging and refreshes your branding for old customers. Introducing variations in your packaging design helps add excitement and anticipation.
4 Tips for Effective Packaging
- Choose the right packaging material – No matter how beautiful your product box is, if you put a bowling ball inside, it will break. We offer a wide range of materials to choose from to guarantee product packaging that are both fashionable and functional. Jot down the features you require, then customize away!
- Stick a label – Once you’re finished packaging your goods, you can seal the deal by placing informative labels. You can plan ahead and design the labels in such a way that they blend seamlessly with the packaging, or create visual contrast. Informative labels help customers know what they’re getting, the story of your brand, or if any allergens are present. This is important for food and pharmaceuticals since it’s a requirement of the FDA.
- Stand out with your design – It's easier said than done, but your packaging design has to be visually engaging and appealing for it to stand out against the competition. Do your research and find out what others are doing and why their approach works. Look for key areas that can be improved and jump on the opportunity. If they’re offering everything in opaque pouches, why not offer one with a clear window? There’s always room for improvement. Find one that works for you and use it to your advantage.
- Keep an eye on sustainability – Environmental consciousness and sustainability are some of the biggest and most important packaging trends that customers look out for. Ensure that your product packaging is sustainably sourced, recyclable, or compostable and that your business sincerely employs environment-friendly initiatives.
Navigate Tight Deadlines With NextDayFlyers
No matter how much you plan ahead, there will always come a time where you
need print packaging materials as soon as possible. A client presentation
may have been moved ahead at the last minute, or your stocks are running
out in the middle of your busiest sale season. It happens. These
situations call for rush printing.
NextDayFlyers offers rush printing services for your urgent needs. Some of our print products can even be ready to ship within the same business day! If you need rush printing, you can contact us at 855-898-9870 so we can guide you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I order sample product packaging?
Yes, you can request a sample pack. It contains a small selection of our most popular products and swatches of the materials we use. If you would like a sample of our custom boxes, you can order on the product page and choose ‘1 Sample’ from the quantity section.
Do you have a delivery guarantee for your shipments?
Yes, we have an On-Time Guarantee for your orders. When you purchase a product and provide a press-ready file by the cut-off time, we guarantee to get your order to you on time or it is on us.
Can I print on the inside of custom boxes?
Yes, you can inside, outside, or on both sides of custom boxes. You can use our online design tool for a real-time 3D rendition of your custom box so you can see each change you make on the design.