One of the first noteworthy cross media marketing incidences occurred in 1977. The movie Saturday Night Fever was released – along with its respective sound track. Cross media marketing is, in essence, cross channel promotions with customers being given a response option in another channel. For instance, send a direct mail postcard with an invitation for an exclusive offer if they go to a particular URL. Cross media marketing at its best is integrated, highly targeted, and effective.
Cross media channels can include, among others:
- online search ads
- display ads
- social media
- direct mail
Tips for Effective Cross Media Marketing
- present your potential customers with an exclusive offer to drive them to another medium
- recreate the same colors and look across all channels so customer’s aren’t surprised (consistent branding)
- know your customers so you can offer best products and services for their needs
- know your goals for each platform
- track platform ROI
- keep content fresh – update often
- have a cross media plan.
- ie: use a newspaper flyer insert to promote website/social media
- while using a blog to promote webinars or whitepapers
- while using linkedin to promote blog and videos
- while using Twitter to promote YouTube and Flickr
- and then using an e-newsletter to promote Facebook and Twitter
Utilizing a multi-channel cross media marketing approach can give you a distinct advantage over your competitors and give you great results.