In today’s search landscape, if you cannot be found in a local search, you will have trouble competing in your city. You may have an awesome product, venue and/or brand, and your SEO may be awesome, too. You might even have an amazing ad campaign and an incredible publicity strategy. Each of those will obviously have a big impact for your company. However, you also need to start thinking about local search and/or local SEO. Because nowadays, if you do not rank locally for “city+keyword” searches related to your products, you will miss out on a lot of potential business.
In order to have the best chance at ranking for local searches,you need to make sure your business listing is accurate and consistent across the major business directories. This takes to some time to complete, but it is totally worth it. The following 10 links will start you on your journey into local SEO:
- Google Places: http://places.google.com/business
- Bing Local: https://ssl.bing.com/listings/ListingCenter.aspx
- Yahoo! Local: http://listings.local.yahoo.com/basic.php
- Yelp!: https://biz.yelp.com/claiming
- FourSquare: http://foursquare.com/business/
- Ask: http://www.ask.com/local
- CitySearch: http://national.citysearch.com/profile/add_business.
- Infogroup/InfoUSA: http://www.expressupdateusa.com/pages/Add.aspx
- YellowPages.com (Improve Your Listing): http://www.yellowpages.com/listing_feedback
- Localeze: http://webapp.localeze.com/extranet/sign-up.aspx
That’s pretty much it for now. While it takes some time to do all of this, it is totally worth it. Having accurate and consistent data in each of these business directories will help your rankings and exposure in your respective city and region. Now get out there and submit and/or update your business listings!