Let LinkedIn Help Increase Your Company’s Connections
LinkedIn is an effective vehicle for any company to network with connections in the industry, with vendors and partners. Here are some techniques designed to help you:
- improve the visibility of your LinkedIn content with search engines
- improve the visibility of your LinkedIn content within the LinkedIn community
- increase the exposure of your LinkedIn updates
- improve traffic to the Web content you point to in LinkedIn updates
Setting Up A LinkedIn Company Page
According to LinkedIn: “Company Pages are a company’s profile of record on LinkedIn and a powerful way to speak to millions of professionals through word-of-mouth recommendations and trusted testimonials.”
Company Pages are an opportunity to reveal a more personal look at a company. It provides a glimpse at the individuals that make the company come to life.
A current employee whose position is listed on their own LinkedIn profile can setup a Company Page. A company email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) that is one of the confirmed addressees on your LinkedIn account is all that’s required.
Follow the steps to setup a Company Page.
Here are some helpful resources about Company Pages:
- LinkedIn Learning Center article on Company Pages
- LinkedIn FAQs about Company Pages
- Associate Employees With Your Company Page
Once a company page is setup, invite employees to associate their LinkedIn profiles with the Company Page. Here’s how:
- Click Profile at the top of your home page.
- Click Edit next to your current position at the company.
- Click the Change Company link.
- Type the full company name.
- Select the correct company name from the dropdown list.
- Click Update.
Ask Employees To Optimize Their Public Profiles
Requesting employees to optimize their profiles helps make the content on their profile more visible to others within the LinkedIn community and with search engines. Here’s how:
- Login to LinkedIn.
- Hover over your profile name in the upper right corner of the profile screen and choose Settings
- Hover over profile name and choose Settings
- In the Settings section, choose “Edit your public profile“
- Choose “Edit your public profile “
- Check “Make my public profile visible to everyone”. Then select as many of the options below as you are comfortable with.
- The Headline, Summaries with specialties, Additional Information / Websites are helpful for search results.
- Check “Make my public profile visible to everyone”. Select Options
Encourage Employees To Share Company Updates On Their Profiles
When a company has important updates to share, ask employees to post the update on their LinkedIn Profiles. Here’s how:
- Paste the URL to your content in the LinkedIn “share an update” window.
- Then overwrite the URL with a note. After you see the snippet of the content in the window below you can erase the URL and put a note in:
Share an Update on LinkedIn
When employees share updates on LinkedIn, it can get that update in front of thousands of people on LinkedIn who may in turn share it, bookmark it, Like it, link to it, etc.
Imagine the potential connections.
For example, if you have 50 employees with LinkedIn profiles each with an average of 100 connections and most of them posted an update about a great article your company published on its website, thousands of connections on LinkedIn, many who are familiar with your company and (hopefully) favorably predisposed, may see that announcement.
Warning: Too Many Automated Updates Can Be A Turn-off.
While updates increase visibility on LinkedIn, too many updates may keep your human connections from noticing the important ones. Suggestion: turn off auto updates from Twitter to Facebook and LinkedIn accounts.
To avoid an overload of your Facebook connections with updates, submit Facebook updates about important blog posts, articles, etc., manually.
Reap the Benefits.
A company page with associated employees (each with optimized profiles) who are active with a large number of connections can increase the visibility of content both on LinkedIn and with search engines, while giving a company an effective online networking tool to communicate with thousands of connections.
Sharing updates with these connections can help increase awareness of your messages and the Web content you link to in your updates, and may increase the rankings of that content as your connections share, bookmark/like, and link to your content.